Monday, July 20, 2009

What Is Wrong With People

Our 30th high school reunion is coming up this summer. The organizer sent out a list of people in our class that have passed away. There were 7 names on the list. With 250 kids in my graduating class I will admit that I did not know everyone on the list that well. There was one girl though that I was friends with. Donna Scheibner was a girl that I had in several classes in high school and I think that I knew here since 5th or 6th grade. Donna was pretty, she was smart and she was always nice too me and as far as I could tell she was sweet to everyone around her. I decided to look up some information about the circumstances concerning her death just to see what might have happened and when.
What I found out has bothered me for days now. In 1997 Donna was the night manager for a grocery story in Albuquerque. Apparently a 19 year old checker and an accomplice hid in the store after closing. Donna was in the office counting cash from the day when this 19 year old killed her with a shotgun and took the money. He got away with $900. I couldn’t believe it. Donna's life was taken for a measly $900. That wouldn’t even make my mortgage payment. I can’t understand how a person can kill someone for money or things. Killing for self-defense or protecting the life of another I can understand. I even have some understanding of hurting someone in a moment of passion but to take away someone’s life over money is something that I just don’t get. I guess peoples capacity for evil will never cease to amaze me. Then again God told us it would be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment