Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ethics of Forced Charity

In my MBA Business Ethics class lately the subject of charity has come up. Being that the program is at a Baptist school the Christian approach is discussed. It is obvious from the Bible that we are to help widows, orphans, and the poor in general. This is clearly our duty as a Christian. It is ethical and moral behavior.
But is it ethical for an organization to forcefully take my money and give to a charity? If a robber breaks into my house, steals my computer, then turns around and gives it to a high school student that could not afford a computer but needs one for homework is that ethical or moral? I don't think anyone would say it was.
Why then do we accept the premise that it is okay for the government to take our money with the threat of jail and then give it to a charitable cause. Not only do I not have any recourse but to pay it but where my money goes is up to some nameless, faceless, bureaucrat that probably lives 1000 miles from me.
Forced charity is stealing pure and simple. Unethical and Immoral!

No comments:

Post a Comment